Formaggio Kitchen has been an institution in Cambridge, Massachusetts for over 40 years–“a gourmand’s paradise” doubling as a neighborhood grocer. Nationally, we are best known for our cheese selection, which includes many exclusive items imported directly from farms in Europe. Locally, we are equally well known for our kitchen and catering production – all made in house, from scratch and using the best (often local) ingredients. We also stock a wide range of other delicious foodstuffs, including: charcuterie, produce, baked goods, prepared foods, coffee, tea, chocolates, bread, sweets, honey, preserves, wine, beer, olive oil, vinegar and other pantry staples.
We offer a dynamic work environment that both challenges and rewards those who have the necessary skills and passion to make the team. We strive to hire people with a love of food, old-world work ethic, capacity for teamwork and a drive to provide exceptional customer service. Benefits include health insurance, 401K with generous employer matching, paid vacation, an amazing opportunity to learn about food and a great team of coworkers.
Sandwich Maker/Kitchen Production
We work hard to bring our customers the best products from around the world with exemplary service. This work ethic is equally essential whether stocking shelves, mongering cheese, or preparing food. We are in need of a full-time sandwich maker and kitchen prep person. This job requires someone who can work five days a week Monday – Friday and sometimes Tuesday – Saturday if needed. Hours will typically be between 7:30am – 3:00pm.
Primary responsibilities include making sandwiches for sale in the store and for our catering department. As time allows, there is opportunity to learn from our kitchen team by helping prep meals and pantry items. Prior experience working in a sandwich shop or retail kitchen is strongly preferred. Our ideal candidate will be hard working, dependable and fun to work with.
If you think you have the desire and skills, we’d love to talk with you! Send our hiring team your updated resume and a short cover letter explaining your skills, background and why you think you’d be a good fit.
We are looking for full-time and part-tme experienced cheesemongers to work closely with existing staff to learn the ropes and help us provide delicious cheese and exceptional service to our customers.
A full-time Cheesemonger work schedule requires flexibility to work nights and weekends. Formaggio Kitchen offers a unique work environment with great staff, fantastic customers and an opportunity for challenge and learning every day. Benefits for eligible employees include a staff discount, health insurance contribution, 401K and paid vacation.
Skills and Experience
- At least one year working in a specialty food retail or wholesale environment
- Cheesemonger experience preferred
- History of providing excellent customer service
- Exceptional work ethic
- Equally exceptional skills in working people of various backgrounds and opinions
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
Additional qualities we are looking for:
- Natural problem solver
- Highly organized
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Eager to learn and grow professionally
- Works well under pressure
- Experience with retail POS systems / computers
We are looking not simply for a qualified person, but someone with the aptitude and energy to contribute to our company going forward. A combination of past achievements and work experience is very important, but equally important is a real desire to continue to learn and improve on your skills and abilities going forward.
Competitive salary and benefits based on experience. If interested, please contact us with a cover letter and resume.
Front of House
We currently have openings for full-time and part-time front of house positions. The front of house team staffs the bread and bakery counters, maintains the appearance of the shop, assists with store operations, and provides our customers with a smooth and pleasant shopping experience. FOH staff are expected to become knowledgeable about store inventory and producers in order to field an array of customer requests. Key characteristics we are seeking include excellent customer service, thoughtful organization, effective communication, great team spirit, and strong work ethic. The ideal candidate is passionate and curious about food and hospitality. Prior experience in a retail or hospitality setting is preferred but not required. In this role, with time and by demonstrating accomplishments and dedication, there is room to grow into a member of our management and buying teams.
Send our hiring team your updated resume and a short cover letter explaining your skills, background and why you think you’d be a good fit.
The Formaggio Kitchen family of stores is looking for a full-charge bookkeeper. The bookkeeper is an integral part of the management team. This position will require a detail-oriented individual with strong analytical skills and the ability to multitask and practice effective time management.
- Oversee staff who handle: accounts payable, accounts receivable, inventory observation, and inventory pricing.
- Enter daily sales for multiple store locations (including reconciling downloaded data feeds).
- Process and record bi-weekly payroll for multiple store locations.
- Human resource responsibilities, including: setup of new employees, health and dental insurance enrollment, and 401(k) administration.
- Reconcile intercompany activity both weekly and monthly.
- Timely and accurately reconcile monthly bank and credit card statements.
- Communicate frequently (both in verbal and written form) with co-workers, suppliers and vendors.
- Prepare appropriate schedules and reports as requested by management.
- File meals and sales tax returns.
- Prepare and file annual 1099s.
- Assist our CPA firm with tax return preparation and monthly and year-end closes.
- Other bookkeeping duties as assigned.
- 7 + years' experience as a bookkeeper and 2 + years’ experience managing staff.
- Fluency with Excel, Word and QuickBooks and ability to learn new software.
- Ability to handle a high volume of transactions on a weekly basis.
- Detail-oriented, organized and have strong time management skills.
- Experience working in the retail food, grocery or the restaurant industry.
- Experience with NCR Counterpoint a plus.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business a plus.
- Local candidates only.
About the Benefits:
- Excellent salary and benefits package.
- Health and dental insurance.
- 401(k) plan.
- Paid time off.
- Employee discounts.