1 block firm tofu
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon soy sauce (like Whisky Barrel Aged Shoyu)
1 tablespoon Okazu Chili Miso Condiment or sesame oil
1 inch ginger, grated
1 tablespoon potato starch, plus 5 tablespoons for coating
Neutral oil for frying, enough to be 3 inches deep in your sauce pan
1. Drain all liquid from tofu and place in freezer overnight. Thaw tofu and press out as much liquid as possible. Cut or break into 1 inch rough cubes.
2. Start heating oil on medium heat.
3. Combine sake, soy sauce, chili miso condiment, grated ginger, and 1 tablespoon potato starch.
Toss tofu pieces in the mixture to coat completely, and then dredge through remaining potato starch.
4. Dip a chopstick in the oil. If bubbles form around the chopstick, the oil is hot enough. Place the tofu pieces in the hot oil to fry for about 2-3 minutes, or until crispy.
5. Remove tofu from oil and drain on paper towel. Serve hot or cold.
Jan 10th 2020
Tofu Kara-age Recipe