1 delicata squash
6 tablespoons black garlic molasses
2 teaspoons fish sauce (like Red Boat)
1 tablespoon fermented garlic flowers
1/4 teaspoon boiled apple cider (like Wood's)
1 teaspoon smoked chili flake (like Daphnis and Chloe)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup salted peanuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Cut squash length wise down the center. Scrape out seeds and wet flesh with small spoon being careful not to damage the ends. Do not peel the squash, the skin will keep it from overcooking and will become tender and delicious. Set squash aside.
3. In a small bowl combine black garlic, fish sauce, garlic flowers, boiled cider, chili flake and half of the salt. Mix with a whisk until combined.
4. Coat each half of the squash in the marinade then season with the remaining salt. Reserve the remaining marinade. Place each half of the squash skin side down in a small baking dish or half sheet tray so that the flesh is facing up.
5. Take half of the remaining marinade and fill each squash cavity with it.
6. Place the dish uncovered in the middle of your oven for 20 minutes.
7. After twenty minutes check the progress by poking the thickest part of the flesh with a skewer or cake tester being carful not to fully puncture the skin. It should go in and out with no resistance.
8. Depending on the size of the squash it may need 10 to 15 more minutes in the oven.
9. Once out of the oven let cool for 5 minutes then pour the marinade from the squash cavity back into the reserved marinade from earlier and set aside. This will be used to dress the squash before serving.
10. Cut squash into 1 inch semi circles and serve either hot or cold. if serving cold, wait to cut until serving.
11. Optional garnish: place peanuts in food processor and buzz for 5-10 seconds or hand chop. Spoon the remaining sauce on top of squash and garnish with crushed peanuts.