Formaggio Kitchen has been an institution in Cambridge, Massachusetts for over 40 years–“a gourmand’s paradise” doubling as a neighborhood grocer. Nationally, we are best known for our cheese selection, which includes many exclusive items imported directly from farms in Europe. Locally, we are equally well known for our kitchen and bakery production including sandwiches, panini and nightly dinners as well as cakes, cookies and a variety of other sweets – all made in house, from scratch and using the best (often local) ingredients. We also stock a wide range of other delicious foodstuffs, including: charcuterie, produce, baked goods, prepared foods, coffee, tea, chocolates, bread, sweets, honey, preserves, wine, beer, olive oil, vinegar and other pantry staples.
We offer a dynamic work environment that both challenges and rewards those who have the necessary skills and passion to make the team. We strive to hire people with a love of food, old-world work ethic, capacity for teamwork and a drive to provide exceptional customer service. Benefits include health insurance, 401K with generous employer matching, paid vacation, an amazing opportunity to learn about food and a great team of coworkers.
Front of House Manager and Buyer
We are looking for hospitality rock-stars to join our team in front of house, management-track positions. The front of house team staffs the bread and bakery counters, maintains the appearance of the shop, assists with store operations, and provides our customers with a smooth and pleasant shopping experience. FOH staff are expected to become knowledgeable about store inventory and producers in order to field an array of customer requests. Key characteristics we are seeking include excellent customer service, thoughtful organization, effective communication, great team spirit, and strong work ethic. The ideal candidate is passionate and curious about food and hospitality. Prior experience in a retail or hospitality setting is preferred but not required. By demonstrating accomplishments and dedication, there is room to grow into a member of our management and buying teams.
Send our hiring team your updated resume and a short cover letter explaining your skills, background and why you think you’d be a good fit.
We are looking for an organizational rock-star to join our team as an administrative assistant. The ideal candidate is a team-player and a quick learner with enthusiasm for food, great attention to detail, and an excellent work ethic. Top notch organizational skills, exceptional customer service and experience with Microsoft Office and Google tools are a must. Extra points for IT troubleshooting experience!
- Developing knowledge of the products and services we offer
- Fielding customer inquiries and orders on the phone, speaking clearly, professionally and in a friendly manner.
- Managing store supplies including buying and tracking stock levels
- Data entry and filing
- Maintaining store calendar
- Creating spreadsheet reports for store management
- Supporting IT staff as needed
- Receiving supplies and organizing storage
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Lifting boxes of product and supplies weighing 20-30lbs
We are looking for full-time, experienced cheesemongers to work closely with existing staff to learn the ropes and help us provide delicious cheese and exceptional service to our customers.
A full-time Cheesemonger work schedule requires flexibility to work nights and weekends. Formaggio Kitchen offers a unique work environment with great staff, fantastic customers and an opportunity for challenge and learning every day. Benefits for eligible employees include a staff discount, health insurance contribution, 401K and paid vacation.
Skills and Experience
- At least one year working in a specialty food retail or wholesale environment
- Cheesemonger experience preferred
- History of providing excellent customer service
- Exceptional work ethic
- Equally exceptional skills in working people of various backgrounds and opinions
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
Additional qualities we are looking for:
- Natural problem solver
- Highly organized
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Eager to learn and grow professionally
- Works well under pressure
- Experience with retail POS systems / computers
We are looking not simply for a qualified person, but someone with the aptitude and energy to contribute to our company going forward. A combination of past achievements and work experience is very important, but equally important is a real desire to continue to learn and improve on your skills and abilities going forward.
Competitive salary and benefits based on experience. If interested, please contact us with a cover letter and resume.
We are looking for a hard-working, dedicated dishwasher to join our team on Sundays. This is a position, pivotal to making the shop and kitchen run smoothly, is one we value tremendously. Ideal candidates will work quickly, efficiently, and independently to hand-wash and machine-wash dishes, as well as maintain the cleanliness of our kitchen. This is a great position for someone interested in joining our back of house operations part-time.
Formaggio Kitchen's online business is growing and we are looking for a hard-working candidate with great attention to detail, a passion for food and top-notch customer service skills to fill a hybrid role working with both our brick-and-mortar businesses and our online business. This position will primarily be responsible for day-to-day operations of our mail order and ecommerce order processing but will additionally contribute to the day-to-day retail operations of the store. This position will report to the E-commerce manager and will handle a range to tasks, from order picking, packing, and processing, to front-of-house work and collaboration on marketing materials.
Daily tasks may include:
- Picking, packing and shipping orders;
- Interacting with customers via email and telephone to help drive sales and address issues;
- Processing orders on our website and in our retail management system;
- Supporting marketing initiatives (email, social media, etc.) to enhance our online and mail order business under guidance of the ecommerce business manager;
- Supervising seasonal staff;
- Front of house sales.
Preferred candidates will have a(n):
- Self-driven, old-school work ethic and on-time commitment
- Passion for specialty food and a drive to eat, drink, taste and learn;
- Aptitude to be detail-oriented and process work in a timely manner;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Desire to contribute creatively to various marketing and media efforts.
Please note this is only available as an on-site position, no remote work is available.
Delivery Driver / Stockist
We work hard to bring our customers the best products from around the world with exemplary service. This work ethic is equally essential whether stocking shelves, mongering cheese or making deliveries. We are in need of a full-time driver / stock keeper with full-time availability Monday through Friday. There are opportunities as well for part-time and weekend work, but regular availability is required. Tasks will include daily restocking of store shelves, receiving shipments of product to our shop, as well as making daily deliveries through the Cambridge and Boston areas.
Knowledge of local Cambridge and Boston areas is preferred. A clean driving record and the ability to drive safely and respectfully in varied weather and traffic conditions are critical aspects of consideration for this position. Also important are strong organizational and communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with all members of our team.