At Formaggio Kitchen, our produce market reflects the changing seasons in New England and beyond. When available, we buy directly from local farmers in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York and Maine, with emphasis placed on sourcing organically grown fruits and vegetables. We enjoy working with and supporting small growers that focus on sustainable practices and continue to grow historic and deeply flavorful heirloom varieties.
In the winter months, we source from small, organic family farms in California, many of which also supply Alice Waters' restaurant, Chez Panisse, in Berkeley. On top of our local and California deliveries, our produce manager visits the New England Produce Center three times a week to hand-select the freshest fruits and vegetables available.
Here are highlights of some of the seasonal produce you'll find in our shop:
- January & February - Meyer lemons, Pixie & Murcott Tangerines, Kumquats, Caviar Limes, Pumelos
- March & April - Fiddleheads, Ramps, Muscat Grapes, Green almonds, Fresh chickpeas, Sorrel and Pea Greens
- May & June - Asparagus, Green Garlic, Morel Mushrooms, Fava Beans, Baby Gem Lettuces, Strawberries, Watermelon Radishes
- July & August - Radicchio Treviso, Wild Maine Blueberries, Heirloom Tomatoes, Esplette Peppers, Muskmelons, Zephyr Squash, Local Peaches & Nectarines
- September & October - Heirloom Pumpkins, Italian Prune Plums, Macomber Turnips, Wild Chanterelle & Porcini Mushrooms, and a rotation of 70 varieties of New England heirloom apples & pears
- November & December - Kaffir Limes, Blood oranges, Fuyu persimmons, Tuber melanosporum (Black Périgord truffle, France), Tuber magnatum (white Alba truffle, Italy)