At Formaggio Kitchen, our produce market reflects the changing seasons in New England and beyond. When available, we buy directly from local farmers in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York and Maine, with an emphasis on organically grown fruits and vegetables. We especially enjoy working with and supporting small growers cultivating historic and deeply flavorful heirloom varieties.
In the winter months, we source from small, organic family farms in California, many of which also supply Alice Waters' restaurant, Chez Panisse, in Berkeley. On top of our local and California deliveries, our produce manager visits the New England Produce Center three times a week to hand-select the freshest fruits and vegetables available.
Here are some of our favorite growers from the New England region and beyond:
Massachusetts & New England
- Sparrow Arc Farm (Unity, ME)
- Sweet Autumn Farm (Carlisle, MA)
- Rockville Market Farm (Starksboro, VT)
- Atlas Farm (South Deerfield, MA)
- Four Star Farms (Northfield, MA)
- Verrill Farm (Concord, MA)
- Kimball Farm (Pepperell, MA)
- Joe Czajkowski Farm (Hadley, MA)
- Allen Farms (Westport, MA)
- Forager Benjamin Maleson (Boston, MA)
- Farm Fresh (RI & MA)
- Coke Farm (San Juan Bautista, CA)
- Riverdog Farm (Guinda, CA)
- Full Belly Farm (Guinda, CA)
- T&D Willey Farm (Madera, CA)
- Terra Firma (Winters, CA)
- Beck Grove (Fallbrook, CA)
- Rancho del Sol (Jamul, Santa Cruz, CA)
- Rodoni Farm (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Las Palmalitas Ranch (Carpinteria, CA)
- Tomatero Farm (Watsonville, CA)
- Masumoto Farm (Fresno, CA)
What to look for in the Spring/Summer:
Globe and Violetta artichokes, Lamb Hass avocados, muscat grapes, fiddleheads and ramps, green almonds, pea greens, Turkish plums, green garlic, red and white spring onions, Morel mushrooms, summer squash, fava beans, broccoli de ciccio, purple asparagus, pickling cucucumbers, okra, muskmelons, heirloom tomatoes, stone fruit (including Poppycot and Apache apricots), Shishito peppers, Castlefranco and Treviso radicchio, squash blossoms
What to look for in the Fall/Winter:
Lollarosa lettuce, Chanterelle and Porcini mushrooms, celery root, 40 varieties of heirloom apples, baby brussels sprouts, Chantenay carrots, Peter Wilcox potatoes, Japanese green onions, dahlia root, horseradish, Gilfeather and Waldoboro turnip, Munichen Bier radishes, baby leeks, Keiffer pears, Winter Luxury pumpkins, rainbow swiss chard and kale, Pennsylvania Dutch crookneck squash, Pixie tangerines, Kishu tangerines, kumquats and limequats, clementines, pomelo, Cara Cara oranges, Moro blood oranges.
In the fall months, we also source fresh Burgundy, Black and White truffles from France and Italy.